Being a smart homeowner involves effective money management, and knowing which home improvement projects will make an impact on the value of your home. Whether you are looking to sell your home, or simply want to maintain its value, home upkeep is important to maintaining your financial investment.
While major projects like renovating a kitchen, or expanding a deck can add value to your home, there are actually several inexpensive ways to add value to your home without breaking your budget. In this article I will share five easy, inexpensive quick home projects that will make a positive impact on your home appearance and value.
Importance of Maintaining a List
Before I get started with the tips, I would recommend that you maintain a list of household plans in a journal or on your smartphone. Having the list handy, will make it easier to keep tabs on what you have done, and note any additional ideas you may have. Set goals and timelines for your self do you do not let things slip.
6 Easy Home Improvement Tips
- Paint the front door. A bright, contrasting front-door will instantly increase the curb appeal of your home. Painting a front door is fairly easy project that involves preparing the door by lightly sanding/cleaning the door and then painting one section at a time. You just need to purchase some exterior paint and set aside an hour or two.
- Brighten those Shutters. Have you looked at your shutters lately? Chances are they have a drab faded look. Want that potential buyer to come into your home? You have to make it look inviting. Luckily there is an easy way brighten those vinyl shutters. Armour All. That’s right the same stuff you use for your car. Just spray those vinyl shutters with Armor All Original Protectant spray, and then wipe down the excess with an old towel. Your shutters will go from dull to vivid, within minutes.
- Pressure wash the exterior of your house. Mother nature can be cruel to a home’s exterior, and overtime will create dirt, mold, and grime stains on the surface of your home’s exterior. Over time, that can be hard to remove with a normal hose. Pressure washing your home will clean and remove debris and give your home a general brighter appearance.
If you do not have a pressure washer, you can rent one from a local hardware store. If you have a two story home, or simply prefer to outsource this task, you can spend a hundred or two and get a professional to do it. While this task may cost a little more than the others, the overall improvement it will have on the look of your home makes it worth it.
- Wash all the windows in your home inside and out. Washing windows is a project that is very affordable. All you need is a bucket, a good squeegee, some rags and willing participants. Hint: Get the kids involved. Put a little dish detergent in some warm water in your bucket, and have at it. When potential buyers see those clean bright windows they will know your home is loved and cared for.
- Paint the trim molding and baseboards. Does the trim in your home have a yellowish, grimy look? Painting that trim with a fresh coat of bright white paint will bring out the colors in your rooms again. Again this is a fairly inexpensive project and something you can easily do yourself.
- Clean the light fixtures in your home. Got cobwebs, and bugs in those light fixtures? Ugh! No buyer wants to see that. Get a step ladder, make sure the lights are turned off, and clean those fixtures. Just wipe down the fixtures with some glass cleaner and and old rag. Also while you are at it, be sure to replace any burned out lights in the meantime.
Home improvement projects don’t have to be big projects and involve major expenses. Quick, inexpensive touch ups can make a considerable impact on the look and value of your home. Just remember to make a point of listing all your projects and set timelines to ensure they get completed.
Do you have some quick, inexpensive tips that helped sell your home? Share your ideas below.