Recently, there has been quite a bit of chatter in the market with regard to a possible acquisition. Sparked by a rumor that made its rounds at the Engage 2015 social media conference in Prague, a discussion about whether or not Google should acquire Twitter has been sweeping through financial news outlets everywhere. However, is this really a good idea? Should Google acquire Twitter, are there any mainstream experts that think it’s a good idea, and how would the acquisition benefit Google? We’ll talk about all of that today! So, let’s get right to it…
Experts Think Google Should Acquire Twitter
For every post I read debunking the idea of a Twitter acquisition by Google, there seems to be 20 posts from experts saying that it’s a good idea. For example, in a quick search, I was able to bring up the following names that think the acquisition would be great…
- Chris Sacca – Chris Sacca is one of Twitter’s biggest stockholders and a well-respected investor. In a recent conversation with CNBC, Sacca said that “From the Google side, it’s an instant fit. This is the thing Google has never had.”
- Joshua Topolsky – Joshua Topolsky is the digital editor for Bloomberg; and he happens to agree with the idea that Google could find a perfect fit in Twitter.
- Om Malik – Om Malik is a well respected writer in the world of tech. Recently, he stated that the acquisition was “the most viable exit option from an investor standpoint.
- Marissa Mayer – Marissa Mayer is the current CEO of Yahoo. She has held the stance that Google should buy Twitter for some time now.
- Jan Rezeb – Jan Rezeb is the CEO of Socialbakers, one of Twitter’s largest advertising clients. Jan believes that the acquisition would be a good idea as well.
Big Names Are Backing The Rumor…But Why?
So, it’s clear that big money thinks a Twitter acquisition by Google would be a good idea…but why? Well, there are a few reasons….
- Real Time Data – Google is a data-hungry machine; and in order to bring the best service to it’s consumers, the company needs to find more and more ways to gather data quickly. That’s exactly what Twitter is known for. As a micro-blogging platform with a very large member base, Twitter offers data at the drop of a dime; which could help to improve Google search and lead to more advertising dollars.
- TWTR Is Relatively Cheap – If you’ve been watching Twitter over the past few years, you know that the stock has had a relatively rough time in the market. With almost zero growth over the past year, and struggles to bring in new users seemingly nowhere near over, Google could snap up Twitter for a relatively low cost if they decide to move fast.
- Google Could Solve Twitter’s Only Real Problem – Twitter faces one problem; and it’s a big one. For some reason, the social media giant can’t seem to bring in the new users. However, with the massive user-base Google has to offer, and the incredible talent on the Google team, I’d imagine that if an acquisition were to happen, Google would have no problems turning the users issue around.
What Do You Think?
Do you think acquiring TWTR would be a good move for GOOG? Let us know your opinion on the comments below!